Saturday, February 17, 2007

Te Amo Salsa!



I made my very own batch of homemade cooked salsa today! I totally improvised everything and it seems to be quite yummy! This could be an addiction soon! It might be better than the current cupcake making addiction that I have but given that I'll likely be eating the salsa with loads of tortilla chips and drinking beer. Hmmm.
Here is my recipe:

Approx. 3 1/2 cups tomato, diced
Approx. 1 t cumin
Approx. 2 t salt
Approx. 1 t sugar
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 dried chipotle chiles
Approx. 1 1/2 T tomato paste
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic - saute for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the cumin and chipotles and saute and additional minute. Add the tomato, salt, sugar, lemon and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, add cilantro and then simmer over low for 30 minutes or until chipotles have seasoned the salsa to your liking. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments: