Friday, February 16, 2007

Seitan is Just Alright with Me...

Nothing like a Doobie Brothers remake to start a post. Is anyone noticing a dorky trend of "song quoted" titles? Ah...heh. heh. Anyway, this post is more about my adventures with seitan this week. Salty fellow. OK, bad pun. It was a bit on the salty side, though, so I'd recommend cutting back on the sodium in the simmering broth. I used Isa's recipe found HERE. Below is my step by step photo collection followed by the dinner I made with seitan - veggie fajitas. The beans you see in the last picture are fat free refried slow cooker beans. Michael says they are the best beans he has ever had and that he is a bean connoisseur. He was nicknamed "burrito boy" so ... I modified THIS RECIPE by omitting the jalapeno and added two dried chipotle chiles and about 1/2 t chili powder. I soaked the beans overnight and reduced the cooking time to 6 hours. It was plenty - the beans were lovely mashable and seasoned. I removed the chiles before mashing - the beans had plenty of smoky heat as is from the slow simmering. A feast for your eyes.







1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

Now you've got me humming the Doobies' tune. I <3 them...

This blog is wonderful, by the way! I am LOVIN' it here...

Thanks for being compassionate. Very nice.