Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

So, I'm keeping up with my song quoted titles. I can't help it. The little geek in me condenses all experiences into songs so...
Sunday was THE potluck. Sure, we've hosted many and all have been great for different reasons. This gathering was HUGE. 36 veg*ns in our townhome! Holy twinkies batman! Our home really doesn't fit that large a crowd well. It was almost a bit overwhelming for socially akward me. I think it went over well, though. The last to leave were the Smart family and Reese. It was nice to chat with them about progressive, vegetarian and stay at home parenting, unschooling, and communal life. These are all things that make me feel grossly isolated by the rest of society and here were 3 other people to chat with Michael and I about these passions. Ron and Rachael are parents of Ellie and James. Our three girls love to play with Ellie and James! We've met them for a rainy picnic in the park, a pizza dinner hosted at their home and a trip to the Carnegie Science Center. Our family now has a yearly membership giving us unlimited access to not only the Science Center but all the Andy Warhol Musuem, Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Museum of Art. I'm sure a trip to the History Museum will be upcoming. They have a "dig" exhibit that the girls loved last year when we visited.

Ah, but I was talking about the potluck. I made toasted coconut cupcakes with a coffee buttercream frosting.

I also made a "sausage" and black lentil stew.
1 t olive oil
1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed and drained (I used black lentils bought at Trader Joes)
14 oz Tofurky Italian sausage, sliced
8 oz frozen corn
3 ribs of celery chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
5 1/2 cups spring water (I subbed half of the water with veggie stock)
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

In a large pot, add a teaspoon of olive oil to very very lightly coat the bottom. Add the sausage and saute until the sausages start to brown. Add the corn, celery, carrots and onion and saute until the veggies begin to become tender. Add the water/broth, salt, black pepper and lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours - stirring occassionally. Alternately, I pot the soup in a crock pot once the water was boiling and cooked on low heat for about 2 hours. I then left in on the warm setting for about an hour prior to serving.

Michael made vegan corn muffins that were delish! He's such an awesome cook!

I never thought I'd say that anything could be more important than vegan food but lo and behold, I'm preparing to say such a thing right now.
Most importantly, our wonderful vegan friends! :-)


No comments: